Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On the trail again...

The blog is back! Well, sort of. I'm currently in the library in Kent, CT, after having hiked 12 miles on the Appalachian Trail for the first time since central Maine. The countryside up here is beautiful, lots of hemlock glades and steep, but not very high hills. The Housatonic River is the nicest river I've seen that no one seems to care about, except GE who's apparently used it as a dumpster over the years. Still, there were mergansers, great blue herons and kingfishers aplenty, so either they're not too worried, or are enjoying meals of Blinky, the three-eyed fish.
Interesting thought of the day- I saw a sign warning of the dangers of eating fish from the river. It was printed in English, Vietnamese, Thai (I think), one language written in a vaguely southeast Asian script I didn't recognize (Cambodian? Lao?) and then a language that featured such words as: "txwv" and "xyoo." Thanks to Google, I now know this to be Hmong. Didn't a Hmong immigrant go postal up in Minnesota last year? Maybe it was because he finally gave up trying to pronounce his language. Or he may have eaten one too many three-eyed fishes.
More on what I'm actually doing out here (plus pictures!!!) in my next post within three days. -DM

No comments: